In the majority of cases planning permission is not required for your Home Office, Garden Room, Summerhouse,
Pod or Shed.
You may require planning permission if you meet any of the criteria below:
- You want to put your building in the front garden
- You live in an area designated as a National Park or an area of outstanding natural beauty.
- Your house is a listed building.
- The total building height is larger than 2.5m* (8ft3) and is closer than 2m to the edge of the boundary of your property.
- 50% or more of your garden is occupied by garden buildings.
This set of rules is just a guideline, it is not a definitive list. If you’re in any doubt you should contact your local council. * If your building is located more than 2m from your boundary you are able to put a building upto 4m high under permitted development